Long ago, in a dusty barn, a mother took a child in her arms, wrapped him snug, made his bed in the hay. He was her gift that Christmas Day. There's no sweeter gift than a life so new. My best gift, little one, is you.
In this poignant and lyrical story by Printz Honor recipient Julie Berry, the miracle of Christmas and the promise in every new child come together in a luminous celebration of unconditional love and hope. With tender, incandescent illustrations by Annie Won, the wonder of the nativity story and the marvel of every baby come alive in a wholly extraordinary book for families everywhere.
A special, beautiful keepsake storybook to read, share, and cherish every Christmas season with the ones you love.
About the Author
Annie Won is an illustrator of many books for children, including The Elves and the Shoemaker, Margaret Wise Brown's The Whispering Rabbit, and In the Quiet, Noisy Woods, written by Michael J. Rosen. Annie received her MFA from the School of Visual Arts and lives in New York City with her beloved cat. You can visit her at anniewon.com.
* "Irresistibly compelling... [Berry conveys] complex historical and religious matters fluently and accessibly for today's readers."- Horn Book, starred review
* "Berry again delivers an utterly original and instantly engrossing story...she weaves a tense, moving portrait of these two teenage girls and their struggle to survive against insurmountable odds."- Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Kudos, then, to Berry for creating a sweeping saga that not only deeply entwines both [historical fiction & religion], but also dissects its characters' humanity as it looks at the often troubling beliefs that underlay their actions." -- Booklist, starred review
* "Readers will be transported into Dolssa and Botille's world. An expertly crafted piece of historical fiction." - School Library Journal, starred review
* "A skillfully crafted and tenderly told story of faith and friendship tested."-Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, starred review
"The slow build reveals...a compelling, admirable young woman in a gorgeously built world that accepts miracles without question...Immersive and mesmerizing."- Kirkus Reviews